North Tampa Legal Group, PA

International child abduction

On behalf of North Tampa Legal Group posted in child custody on Sunday, April 23, 2017.

Are you one of the many Florida parents who has to worry about your child or children being taken out of the country by a former spouse or partner illegally? If so, you should know about some of the things you will want to have ready to go in the event that this ever happens. As explained by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs, the more documentation you have easily and readily on hand, the better off you will be in helping authorities locate your child.

Some of the documents that authorities may ask you for include a marriage certificate and divorce decree as well as a birth certificate for the child. Anything that outlines the terms of your custody or parenting time agreement with the other parent should be accessible at any time. Copies of your child’s Social Security card and passport if one has been issued would also be good to keep with these items for quick reference.

Regularly updated photos of your child can be extremely important for authorities searching for a child taken by someone else. Make a point to get new photos, especially close ups, at least twice a year. Documented medical, dental and school records should outline any conditions, medications and identifiers like birthmarks or scars.

If you would like to learn more about protecting your child against being taken to another country illegally by his or her other parent, please feel free to visit the international abduction page of our Florida family law website.